Grow Group Questions • May 15, 2022
- See note from Kim Larson, one of our missionaries who would LOVE to come to visit your Grow Group. (see email)
Ice Breaker (If needed):
What did you think a successful adult life looked like as a child or young adult? What did you look at to help formulate that definition? Has the bar changed?
Sermon Discussion (Read Ecclesiastes 2:1-11):
Will you let the world’s image of success define how you pursue the Kingdom of God OR will you let the pursuit of the Kingdom define your image of success?
- How do you see the world defining success?
- Why do we try to derive so much personal value from work and success?
- Why do we gauge the value of others by their work and success?
- When you look at all of the things that “The Preacher” amassed and accomplished on earth in Ecclesiastes 2:1-11, what are the parallel things in our/your lives that we seek after today?
- Are wealth, success, and power sinful, good, or neither? Explain…
- Be honest: which one of these things today holds your heart the most?
- How could they rob you from living for God’s Kingdom over your own earthly kingdoms?
- Read 1 Timothy 6:6-12:
- If pursuing God and His Kingdom was our true passion, how would one’s definition of success be different…
- with our careers, our bank accounts, and our time?
- What do these verses from 1 Timothy tell us about our careers, our bank accounts, and our time?
- Read Matthew 6:31-33. Focus on verse 33. What does this tell us about how our Kingdom-centered values and definitions of success should compare to how the world values and defines success?
- What are some practical ways we can live these Kingdom-centered values out?
- What are some specific ways that your life should look different than the world’s because of these Kingdom-centered values?
Coming Back to The Key Statement:
Will You let the world’s image of success define how you pursue the Kingdom OR will you let the pursuit of the Kingdom define your image of success?
- Take a moment to reflect and hear the Spirit in regard to the 1 Timothy and Matthew 6 passages. Are there places in your life where the world is defining your success?
- What is something specific the Holy Spirit might be telling you to sacrifice in order to pursue the Kingdom?
- Consider: Spend time praying for each other based on what is shared in the “Final Challenge”
- This week let’s pray for our next lead Pastor (These are just suggestions please feel free to pray as the Spirit leads)
- That God would be at work even now preparing him to lead our congregation.
- That their family would receive a warm welcome from us when they come to meet us
- That their family would fall in love with our people and our church