Grow Group Questions • September 19th
Conversation Starter/Questions (10 minutes)
- For the Ice Breaker this week please: Go over the Grow Group Covenant with you were unable to last week.
- OR What “construct” (or form of doing church) have you loved and miss letting go or having less of? Why? Be sure to share your wonderful stories and fond memories.
Sermon Based Questions (15-20 minutes)
Read Acts 2:44-47, Hebrews 10:25
Pastor Thad shared that the universal church “construct” (way of gathering to worship) has fluctuated and will continue to fluctuate over time in relation to location and culture, but the essential components have remained the same.
- Why is that important?
- Why is it important to distinguish between essential “components” and non-essential “constructs?” How is that helpful to the cause of Christ?
- Why is this hard for us to experience sometimes? How can we better join with God when He works in different ways of gathering to worship?
- Is there a non-essential “construct” of how we gather together that you might have elevated to an essential “component” of our worship service?
- Are there any “constructs” that you struggle with our service currently missing?
- Is there something that you would struggle with if it went away or changed?
Pastor Thad shared on Sunday that there are certain “components” of a worship service that biblically are called to be a part of gathering together as a community. The components are: Fellowship and observing the ordinances, Sermon (Scripture reading and instruction), Praying, Worship (Response to, and adoration for God), Generosity, and Serving.
- What is one of your favorite components of gathering on Sundays as a church? Why?
- Are there any components of the “Gather” that you struggle with? Why?
Digging Deeper (20-25 minutes)
Read John 17:20-21, Philippians 2:1-4, 1 Corinthians 1:10, 2 Corinthians 13:11
Pastor Thad Shared several marks of healthy disciples, unity being one that most do not think of. After reading these verses:
- Why do you believe unity is a true mark of a follower of Christ?
- How do you think Satan uses disunity to discredit the church and Gospel?
- How is unity different from always agreeing on everything? Why is important to distinguish between the two?
- How are you doing at keeping the church unified, knowing you may not agree with “construct” or the way things are done?
(Optional Discussion points if desired)
- How are you encouraged in regards to Bethany’s mission or value around the family unit and how that impacts Passionately Gathering? (Listed below for reference)
- Why or why not?
- Do you feel like this is good to share about who we are publicly?
- How do you think God might be using you in his, or what way do you think God might want to?
To pursue and equip families to passionately follow Christ together
We encourage all generations to come alongside and equip families to grow in faith and maturity in Christ.
How can you serve your local church with your unique gifts and abilities or even through your circumstances? Where do you or where could you “serve” on Sunday morning (or even Wednesday night) to be a part of the body and the mission of Bethany?
Challenge and Prayer (10-15 minutes)
Leaders: We know that different people/groups might have different responses to a message like this. Please seek to invite your group, no matter where they have landed on some of the topics, to a place of praying for God to:
- First check their hearts if unity is a struggle right now for them
- Pray for unity in the body about “constructs” that are not Biblically Essential
- Pray for God to move on Sunday as we “Gather” to see people Experience his Life changing presence to help us be unified as we Passionately Follow Christ Together!